- Conduct research comparing microbiomes of teosinte and modern maize, and elucidate the effect of domestication on microbiome recruitment.
- Generate a large culture collection using high throughput culture methods.
- Prepare cultures for long-term storage (glycerol, lyophilization etc)
- Innovate culture methods for rapid isolation, growth and identification of bacteria.
- Screen microbial cultures for biocontrol properties against pests and pathogens.
- Perform statistical analysis.
- Train graduate students and undergraduate students in microbiology and microbial ecological experimentation.
- Perform and assist in bioinformatic analysis of large metabarcoding, metagenomics and metatranscriptomics data.
- Maintains lab records and ensures up-to-date lab safety documentation.
- Write manuscripts to publish in scientific journals.
- The microbiology lab and the entomology facilities are 5 minutes driving distance from each other, and hence requires a current driver’s license or should be in the process of obtaining a permit.
- Implement other duties as required.
Required Education and Experience:
- PhD in related field (microbial ecology, microbiology, plant pathology, etc.)
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Aseptic microbiology: both conceptual and demonstrable technical knowledge.
- Microbial culture of bacteria and fungi. Grow microorganisms in pure culture and in interactions.
- Fast learner/self-starter - able to work independently.
- Maintain lab records meticulously.
- Detail oriented.
- Knowledge of laboratory maintenance and equipment.
- Ability to multi-task and work cooperatively with others (internal and external collaborations).
- A good understanding of microbial species concept is mandatory.
- Collect phenotypic data from plants (healthy, infected and infested).
- Experience in high throughput culturomics is desirable.
- Experience in working with Nanopore sequencer is desirable.
- Experience and/or interest in laboratory automation will be an advantage.
-This is a grant funded position; continued employment contingent on availability of funds.
-Applicants must upload both a cover letter and CV in order to be considered for this position